Elizabeth was born to the King of Hungary in 1207. When she grew up, she was politically matched to a Prince, whom she loved, and had three children with him. Although she was living as royalty, Elizabeth’s true passion was caring for the poor. She did this each day but, after a while, her husband began to pressure her to stop. So, she became creative and started leaving the castle to meet the poor with food and staples hidden in her frock.
Becoming suspicious, one day her husband followed her and questioned what was in her frock. Elizabeth turned to him and, just before she opened her frock, the food and staples turned into beautiful, red roses. Seeing the roses, her husband was satisfied never questioned her again.
Today, you will notice that most pictures of Elizabeth portray her with food and red roses. In her short lifetime, she had a hospital built for the poor and became known for having fed 900 starving people daily during a great famine. Tragedy struck when her husband was killed in a crusade followed by a political struggle which drove her from the castle. Elizabeth then lived and worked with the poor and died in 1231 at the age of 24.
In 1235, Pope Gregory IX canonized her as a saint. This means that the Church believes the example of Elizabeth’s life is a model we can learn from. It is with great pride that we have our hospital, CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth, named after her. We are honored to remember the example of her life on her official memorial day, November 17th.
The CHRISTUS Southeast Texas Foundation is proud to announce that, after raising funds through local foundations and local individual philanthropists, we have purchased a 3D mammography system for the CHRISTUS Southeast Texas Outpatient Center Mid County. Thank you to Mike Roebuck and family, the Mildred Yount Manion Charitable Foundation, the Mamie McFaddin-Ward Heritage Foundation, and each of our private donors for allowing us to bring cutting-edge technology to our Mid County – specifically Port Arthur – residents in a spa-like, outpatient setting.
The new Women’s Center has been named the Susie Roebuck Mammography Center as a loving tribute from Mike Roebuck to his mother. “This will be a timeless memorial to Mike’s mother and to the bond that they shared,” said Ivy Pate, CHRISTUS Southeast Texas Foundation President. “Her memory will live on in the life-saving services that will be provided year after year to the women in Mid County.” The center’s primary objective is to increase early cancer detection and early intervention to save lives of patients utilizing Hologic’s Genius 3D Mammography system with biopsy capabilities.
The CHRISTUS Southeast Texas Foundation is proud to offer CHRISTUS patients in Mid County – mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts – access to the highest level of efficiency and accuracy in breast cancer prevention and treatment.
The CHRISTUS Southeast Texas Foundation worked with artist and sculptor Marsha Elmore, originally from Southeast Texas, to acquire a 7 ft. bronze statue of Jesus Christ. The life size bronze of Jesus Christ is Marsha’s latest commission and represents a spiritual pinnacle for her. She worked on this statue for two years, the longest she has worked on any piece of art. On display near the front entrance of the hospital, this statue will now be a constant reminder of the CHRISTUS mission – extending the healing ministry of Jesus Christ. This statue will offer peace, hope, and healing to all who enter the doors of CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth.
The dedication ceremony was held on Tuesday, October 11 with CHRISTUS administration, associates, and Sisters, along with community members and the media. The ceremony was a beautiful and spiritual affair, with a blessing of the statue and addresses made by CEO Paul Trevino, Foundation President Ivy Pate, and Sculptor Marsha Elmore.
“This statue of Jesus Christ is much more than a piece of art. It is a part of Marsha’s ministry. And it is now a part of the ministry of CHRISTUS, where we are focused on offering a spiritual approach to health care,” said Foundation President Ivy Pate.
Ms. Elmore is the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. D.M. English. Dr. Dudley English practiced medicine in Beaumont until he retired in 1979. She was married to Dale Elmore and they had three children: Teak Elmore, Meg Elmore Clark, and Josh Elmore. Marsha, Dale, and their family moved to Hunt, Texas in 1979 to run Camp Waldemar, a Christian-based all girls’ camp. Her “second” career in sculpting has been commission based, along with her work in private collections, six of which are located at the Beaumont Court House.